Friday, May 2, 2014

Fall in Argentina, Summer in my Mouth (is that awkward??)

Y'all, I have to say that although it's a steady 60 degrees here and leaves falling all around, I was desperate for one last summer salad. Dressings here are terrible (Ranch is a watery substitute...) and oil and vinegar is okay if you like pure olive juice. So for our team meeting yesterday, I was craving a salad with strawberries and caramelized nuts (which you can find on street corners everywhere here) and behold, I knew this was the perfect dressing for it:


http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9f/29/39/9f2939352bbc8adba32e60ef420077d2.jpg

Perfect Strawberry-Poppyseed Dressing
1 clove garlic
1/8 slice of a small purple onion
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c fresh strawberries, raspberries (or 2 T. raspberry jam)
1/3 c white vinegar
1/2 c extra light olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp poppyseeds

Place all ingredients (except poppyseeds) into a blender. Blend until entirely pureed. Stir in poppyseeds. Serve immediately over your favorite salad for store for up to 48 hours.

My notes: What the heck is 1/8 slice of a small purple onion? I do not know. So I used a small amount, maybe 1 Tbsp. of onion. I actually doubled the recipe (except for the garlic and onion) since it was for 12 adults, but there was plenty left over. Probably could have done without doubling it. I also used red wine vinegar. I don't know if that made it more pink or not, but it was still sweet. And since I can't stand a hint of olive, I used sunflower oil instead of olive oil. Basically, make do with what you have and it should come out fine. I love this stuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment