The Shepherd. There is so much imagery in the Bible of a shepherd and his flock. I love the parable Jesus tells in Luke 15, when the shepherd has 100 sheep and loses 1; he leaves his 99 to search for just 1. Once he find it, there is great joy and rejoicing.
In John 10, Jesus tells the people that, “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."
One of my favorite authors, Margaret Feinberg wrote this really great book, Scouting the Divine, and in the first part of the book she recalls time she spent with a modern day shepherd. She talks about the in and outs of caring for them, the work that goes into a flock, and yet that's what Jesus does for us daily. Margaret also visits a beekeeper, a vineyard, and a farmer on this journey of hers. Like I said -- it's a good book!
Anyway, I just want to close with Psalm 23. An old Psalm that many of us have heard and leave it as a reminder of what God has done for us (with my own emphasis added.)
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
No comments:
Post a Comment